Sunday, October 4, 2009

Peanut Butter & Dill Pickles

This post is about peanut butter and dill pickles... not separately...but rather, as a combo. I'm sure a lot of you out there are familiar with the old PBDP, or Peanut Butter and Dill Pickle sandwich--a 70's lunch box classic. I must have eaten one of these at least 2 or 3 times a week when I was kid:

Although there is a cult following for this lunch box treat, I understand that some of you may still be skeptical. I do think that those who prefer savory over sweet will be more inclined towards this sandwich. However, I still recommend that you give it a try regardless of your savory vs. sweet preferences. In my experience, the un-initiated often cringe when I describe the PBDB, but when they actually taste one, they are pleasantly surprised.

The ingredients are simple:

Your favorite bread
Your favorite peanut butter
Your favorite dill pickle

Last Friday, I cracked out the crock pickles that I had started 3 weeks ago, which are now fully sour.

Crock pickles three weeks ago:


Crock pickles now:

Suffice it to say that crock pickles are not for the faint of heart. They're not pretty, and they're even a little scary...a perfect addition to any haunted house..., but they are tasty. The cloudiness is expected. These pickles cure in a saltwater solution by means of fermentation caused by lactic acid bacteria, which appears as a cloudy film in brine. Despite their looks, we've been enjoying them for the last few days in peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches.

So, my final note is this:


Don't let the PBDPs give you the heebie-jeebies!

7 comments:

  1. Rose,

    Glad to hear your crock pickles turned out. You are much more brave than I am on the pickle front. I haven't tried fermenting things except wine and yogurt. Maybe I will try sauerkraut now like we discussed. I think you have inspired me.

    And .... thanks for reminding me about the dill pickle and peanut butter sandwiches. I am going to get some dill pickles tomorrow and try it before I forget.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia,

    I must admit, the crock pickles are a little spooky.

    Homemade sauerkraut has got to be delicious though... even if a little spooky...but what price "krautness"?

    Have a great evening!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this peanut butter and pickle before. I am rather intrigued, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mo,

    If you like peanut butter and you like dill pickles, give it a try when you're in the mood.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sandwich does seem a little weird, but I love peanut butter and I love pickles so... I've kind of learned that I can't judge food until I try it. I eat so many things now that I would have never thought I'd like - maybe I need to add this sandwich to that list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am intrigued by this peanut butter and pickle combo--I've never heard of it before but it's one of those things that sounds so gross I feel almost obligated to try it. If nothing else it may make a good, easy sandwich for my toddler who loves PB and pickles...

    And I'm glad your pickles turned out okay, I've been wanting to try my own but I'm far too afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi CarolinaVegan,

    I understand your reservations about PB and Dill Pickles...my mom made these for me when I was a kid and back then I didn't really stop to think about whether the combo sounded good or not...your toddler may be the same.

    Crock pickles are a little scary I have to admit. But if you can find a tried and true recipe, I think the risk is minimal.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...