Wednesday, October 21, 2009

RRR Sandwich w/ Tomato Marmalade

....Roasted Rosemary Root Vegetables sandwich that is.

I found a lovely loaf of organic vegan potato bread from a local bakery, and root vegetables seemed like just the sort of "autumny" things to put in it. I used parsnips, rutabaga, delicata squash, and carrots. I tried roasting some horseradish root too, but I didn't put it in the sandwich because it tasted very bitter.

The veggies roasted in a 350 C oven for ~20 minutes with olive oil, fresh rosemary, salt, and pepper over the top.

For the "marmalade," I just caramelized some red onion in olive oil, tossed in some chili pepper flakes, deglazed with red wine, and added tomato paste, salt and pepper. The zestyness of the tomatoes goes well with the mellow sweetness of the roasted roots.


Happy Wednesday!

Ciao for now. :)

7 comments:

  1. Sounds great! I always love the things you combine. I have never put squash on a sandwich before but it sounds fabulous. Don't know why I have tried it.

    Also the tomato marmalade sounds like something we will love. And it sounds so quick and easy. My favorite combination ... flavorful and easy.

    thanks for sharing,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alicia,

    Looking at the photos, the potato bread looks so pale and unhealthy. The bread is good, but now I wish I would used a lovely whole grain or rye bread instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose,

    I didn't have the same reaction to the bread. Although whole wheat would have been healthier. As some wise woman said to me recently "you are being too hard on your yourself". ;) I wonder where I heard that. wink wink.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Alicia,you're such a sweetheart. You made me feel better...but wait till you see what we had for dessert tonight...very naughty.

    I'll post it tomorrow.

    Have a good night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose,

    Naughty dessert = yummy. Can't wait to see what you made.

    I am still all wired from cooking class tonight. Our cooking teacher is good friends with the food editor of our local paper and thinks they should do a story on me. Too weird for me, but flattering. What is your reaction to this? Am I just being weird for no reason?

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, not at all! That is great!
    You have so much knowledge and expertise to give and...I'm sure you could be teaching your own cooking class.

    I'm totally serious.

    We need more people with intrinsic knowledge of health and nutrition, who can create darn tasty food...

    America is literally starving (even though they may not know it) for the kind of cooking and nutrition you know so much about.

    I'm your biggest fan. I think this is great news...Congratulations, that is so exciting.

    :) :) :) :) :):) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose,

    You are so nice! I think you answered my question even though I hadn't asked it yet. My husband agrees with you and thinks I am being ridiculous.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...