Thursday, October 1, 2009

Share the Love ~ VeganMoFo 09

I’m not the most prolific blogger, but I had to jump on board for Vegan MoFo 09. I don’t have a particular theme other than to give snapshots of what we eat in our vegan household from day to day. I’ll be posting about various dinners or smaller things, sometimes with a recipe and sometimes not. I’m always hesitant to post recipes, because I don’t usually measure things when I cook.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to send bushels of love and thanks out to all of you in the vegan blogosphere. I’ve never seen such a collection of talented, creative, and committed people anywhere else. Thank you so much for all you share; you inspire me greatly.

So let’s get started. Last night, we ate lentil-stuffed delicata squash, topped with some almond feta. I served it with lightly steamed purple cauliflower, roasted onion, and a simple arugula salad.

The purple cauliflower makes it look kind of like space food, but the color of this variety is naturally produced by antioxidants. This particular cauliflower was organically grown right here in the Pacific Northwest (USA). The squash lived up to its name with a delicate flavor, and the skin was so tender that we ate it skin and all. The lentils were leftover from a lentil stew I made a few nights ago.

Here's wishing everyone a wonderful kick off to Vegan MoFo III!! I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate my favorite month of the year.


Arugula, tomato, cucumber topped with hemp seed, flaxseed oil, and lemon juice

11 comments:

  1. I've never had delicata squash, but now I really want to try it. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mo,

    Thanks for your comment. Delicata squash reminds me of a cross between acorn squash and butternut squash. It cooks up a bit softer than the butternuts as well. Definitely give it try!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lentils and squash! Perfect! I've never seen this variety over here though. But lentils are my favourite these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. The meal looks beautiful. I love the purple cauliflower. Happy Vegan Mofo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovliebutterfly,

    Thanks for your comment. I'm married to an Irish man and lived in Ireland for quite some time. The produce is a bit different here to there, but you're right, any winter squash would make this dish a nice autumn meal. :)

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, that looks awesome, I love lentils!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rose,

    I love the purple cauliflower too. Our CSA has been growing it this year.

    Everything sounds great. I now understand why you like my style of cooking, it is very similar to yours.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alicia,

    You've been a big influence on my cooking! Like the hemp seeds on the salad...straight from you.

    Thanks for all the inspiration.

    Roes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silly me. I thought you had been doing that all along and that was why you liked my food. Sometimes the obvious goes right be me, like it just did.

    I am still laughing at myself. I hope I gave you a good giggle.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seriously had one of those delicata squashes in my hand at our co-op now more than 4 hours ago and I looked it perplexed and wonder "what do you do with this?" MOFO ask and answer! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lex,

    Thanks for the comment. Delicata can be used for any dish that calls for winter squash, but keep in mind that it has a stringier texture than say butternut and a sweeter flesh than say acorn.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...