Monday, February 8, 2010

Recipes from the Blogosphere: Thai Butternut Soup & Beet Chips

 

This is a combination of  recipes from two blogs that I follow and really like. The Thai Butternut Soup is from Mangocheeks  at the Allotment 2 Kitchen. The other recipe is Vegan Epicurean's Beet Chips. I've been wanting to try both for a while.

First, the soup: Mangocheeks won an award for it, and it was well-deserved. This soup is not only a creative combination, but  a perfect one. It's sweet, piquant, and rich. The flavors go perfectly together and it becomes rather addictive. I followed the recipe pretty much to a 'T', except that I added some lemon grass. It's wonderful with lime juice squeezed over the top. The soup is even tastier the next day and/or the longer it simmers, as the kaffir lime and other flavors become more pronounced. And I don't know whether this sounds odd to anyone, but I think a tomato soup version of this would be delicious as well.

Mangocheeks topped her soup with some tofu croutons, which I'm sure are delicious, and which I will surely try another day. But oddly, in a strange twist of events, I wasn't in the mood for tofu when I made the soup, so I decided to try Vegan Epicurean's beet chips as the topper instead. They bake up nicely in the oven, and make a great snack as well as a nice garnish. The beet chips worked well with the soup and added a crunchy dimension over the top. 

If you like Thai flavors, my advice is to give this soup a try...and if you like beets, those beet chips are not only fun, but definitely worth your while.

 

8 comments:

  1. Beet chips! How brilliant. This is why I read blogs but will never write a cookbook. And, say, I already have a beet...this looks fantastic, a great taste combination too, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! I've been on a beet kick all week:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose,

    I would not have thought of that combination. What a great idea.

    I am so glad you liked the beet chips! We found them to be oddly addictive.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zoa,

    The beet chips are great...I think they would also make a fun "peperoni" substitute on top of pizza because visually they look similar.

    I agree about recipes from blogs...far more diverse and compelling than a cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janet,

    The soup and the beets went well together...if you're on a beet kick, definitely try Alicia's chips...they make a nice snack too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ali,

    Yes the beet chips were great...I'm going to make a batch for my mom, I think she'll like them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too would not have thought of that combination, but I am Liking the adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mangocheeks:

    Thanks for the recipe...it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...